Guest Bio: Justin Wren is an American MMA fighter. Justin is currently fighting in the heavyweight division of Bellator to help raise more awareness for helping the Pygmy people of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Topics Discussed: Fighting in Bellator and returning to MMA; getting Malaria again; jigger sand fleas; talk about dealing with corruption in the Congo; more talk about Malaria in the Congo; Justin was told to get Malaria; he lost 33 lbs. in five days; dealing with bullying and suicidal thoughts as a child; Texas homecoming mums; Justin tells a story about being bullied in high school; he tells a story about a nine-year-old who committed suicide; more talk about wanting to commit suicide at 13 due to bullying; people in the Congo don’t consider suicide despite their poor living conditions; finding camaraderie through training MMA with a team; seeing the people who bullied him as an adult; Carrie movie; where does the desire to bully come from; hanging out with the wrong people as a teenager; talk about blowing up frogs with fireworks; seeing bullying in the Congo; why do people want to bully others; battle at Kruger video; poachers in Africa; 3D-printed cloned rhino horns; why are rhino horns desirable; rhino horns fact vs. fiction; deforestation; the horrible experiences in his past have made him an incredible adult; how the Pygmies talk; Camelbak water packs; getting clean drinking water in the Congo; Justin has helped build 45 water wells; his goals for building wells in the Congo; what people in America are chasing really doesn’t matter; people share in the Congo; educating others in the Congo; how they go to the bathroom in the Congo; unsafe drinking water wells; half the hospital beds in the world are filled because of poor drinking water; Malaria isn’t transferable from person-to-person; leaving a legacy; money and possessions don’t bring happiness; comparing yourself to others robs you of joy; Jeremy talks about a sick friend in the Congo; was Tuberculosis born out of fire; watching UFC VHS tapes when he was younger; Dan Henderson; Roy Nelson; Elite XC talk; Kimbo Slice needed a heart transplant; Pygmy housing; Cal-Earth Eco-Domes; Helping Without Hurting books; more talk about wells and Pygmies; mob justice in the Congo; training other people to help; violence he’s seen in the Congo; What They Don’t Teach You at Harvard Business School book; talk about making goals and writing them down; why 3% of Harvard MBAs make more than the other 97%; Justin talks about writing down and achieving his goals; gardening and farming in the Congo; Bellator MMA “Foundations” video about Justin; Justin talks about ring rust and seeing his wife while fighting; Justin talks about what’s next for him; Team Takedown breaking up; talk about fighting for Bellator and possibly returning to the UFC; balancing fighting and helping the Pygmies; getting shingles; more talk about his fighting future; Adam Wheeler “I am Pure” video; training with Adam Wheeler; more talk about balancing his life.
My Thoughts: The first hour is talk about his experiences with bullying, depression, and suicidal thoughts when he was younger. The rest is talk about what he’s doing in the Congo to help the Pygmies with a bit of talk about his MMA career.
Podcast Video: Below is a video of The Joe Rogan Experience podcast episode #826 available for streaming via YouTube.
Podcast Audio: Audio for this episode of The Joe Rogan Experience podcast is available through iTunes, Stitcher, or you can download the MP3 directly to add it to the audio player of your choice.